Monday, January 24, 2011

365 Project - Day 24 - Everyone's Favorite Modeling Compound

Did you know that Play-Doh was originally invented in the 1930's as a wallpaper remover? I guess it didn't work so well. But hey, at least the manufacturers were able to make their money back when they began marketing it to children.

Very few Americans escape their childoods without getting their hands on some Play-Doh. I've probably gone through at least a dozen containers of it myself. It doesn't matter what age you are, Play-Doh is hours of fun. The cool kids had the accessories, like the coveted Fun Factory or the Burger Builder Playset. I didn't have either, but my friends did, so I was cool by association.

I always loved Play-Doh, but I tended to prefer the homemade stuff because the smell wasn't as overpowering as the storebought brand. Seriously, that stuff can asphyxiate you if you're not in a well-ventilated room. I don't know what it is they add to give it that odor, but you'd think after 50 years, they could have tweaked the recipe and toned it down a little.

You haven't lived until you've made your own Play-Doh. If you're looking for a good recipe, click here and give it a try. Don't have kids? Who cares? It's fun for all ages. If someone happens to stumble upon your stash, you can always lie and say you made it for your neice, or nephew, or younger sibling, or the neighbor kid who lives two houses down. Or hell, just tell the truth, say it's yours, and ask them if they want to help you make a Play-Doh pizza. You might be surprised at how many people will take you up on the offer.

Squish it. Roll it. Flatten it. Build it. Cut it into shapes. But, for the love of all that's good and holy, don't mix the colors. I don't really consider myself an uptight or anal person, but watching kids mash different Play-Doh colors together and shove them willy nilly into containers makes me cringe. The containers come with colored lids for a reason people.

My daughter is still a little too young for Play-Doh. At this point, she is still picking up every random piece of lint and scrap of paper from the floor and putting it in her mouth. Just yesterday I caught her chewing on a wad of cardboard that she pulled off the corner of the box our new vacuum came in. Imagine what she would do with a fistful of Play-Doh, odor and all! But it won't be long and we'll be breaking open a container together, and the legacy will continue.

Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to everyone's favorite modeling compound. Thank you, Play-doh, for over 50 years of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment