Thursday, June 9, 2011

365 Project - Day 160 - The Ants Go Marching (part 2)

So after posting about our recent ant issues on Facebook, I had several friends and family members giving me advice on how to get rid of them. When my good friend Tamatha recommended Terro Liquid Ant Baits, I figured we would give them a go. She warned me that the ants would swarm "like cows to a feeding trough" but to let them do their thing and they would carry the poisoned liquid back to their nest and it would kill the entire colony.

Boy was she right!





A few hours after setting the baits on the counter last night, we watched the ants swarming, diving into the liquid like drunken college students diving into a swimming pool full of Jell-O shots. Despite the fact that the ants had only been confined to the small portion of the counter immediately surrounding our kitchen sink, for the rest of the night, I swore I could feel them crawling on me. It was enough to keep me awake and paranoid well past 3:00 a.m.

What Tamatha failed to mention was that the colony's queen was not likely to take the assassination attempt lightly, so I was completely unprepared when I saw her on the floor when I got Cadence out of her crib and carried her into the living room. But there she was, the fat, black Carpenter Ant queen, scurrying across the floor near the kitchen. Barefoot and still holding my child, my options were few, so I grabbed Cadence's horsey bike and ran over Her Majesty before she could escape and find a new spot to rebuild her  dying kingdom.

And just so you can see the size comparison between Her Majesty and her minions...



Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to the poor ants who decided to invade and met their demise. Let's just hope this is the last post for a very long time devoted to any sort of annoying creepy, crawly creatures. I don't know about you, but I have had my fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment