Tuesday, March 1, 2011

365 Project - Day 60 - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, or Supper?

"Will we see you for dinner?"

"Sure, what time should we come over?"

"How about noon?"

"Noon? For dinner?"

"Yeah, dinner at noon."

"You mean lunch at noon?"

"No, dinner at noon. Unless you want to do supper. We can do supper instead. Maybe at six?"

"So, dinner at six?"

"No. Dinner at noon. Supper at six."

"You mean lunch at noon? And dinner at six?"

"No..."

I left Nebraska in the summer of 1998 with two suitcases, a backpack, and a one way ticket to New York. In the years that followed, I earned my Bachelor's degree, worked as an Admissions Counselor, went back to school and earned my Master's degree, taught middle school, high school and college English, fell in love, began freelance writing, got married, got a dog, started a photography business, and had my first child. Then, 12 1/2 years later, my husband, daughter, dog and I found ourselves packing up our belongings to move to Lincoln.

Somehow, during those years of absence, I completely forgot that Nebraskans have their own particular order for the meals of the day. Breakfast, as always, is eaten in the morning. After that, things get rather confusing.

What others might call lunch is called dinner around these parts, and is eaten mid-day. Supper is dinner (or dinner is supper) and is eaten in the evenings.

Still following?

Steven just shakes his head in confusion, and honestly, so do I. Our only solution is to make sure we agree on a time when we're meeting up with our friends and family to enjoy a meal.

Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to mealtimes, whatever you call them.


No comments:

Post a Comment