Friday, February 4, 2011

365 Project - Day 35 - Mmmm...Oreo Balls!

It was just a few days before Christmas. It had been a long semester, and I had flown home to visit my parents in Nebraska for the holidays. One of Mom's friends had given her a plate of assorted homemade goodies, and after spying what looked like my favorite chocolate covered peanut butter balls, I couldn't resist. I peeled back the red saran wrap, plucked one of the small chocolate balls off the plate, and bit into it.

I nearly spit it right back out again, when I noticed that the inside was black instead of the normal brown peanut butter color.

Then my tastebuds took over, and I fell quickly and hopelessly in love.

At first, I thought I'd stumbled upon a chocolate covered brownie (which would have been genius as well), but on closer inspection, I realized the concoction was filled with some slightly gooey version of an Oreo cookie. Of course, we had to ask for the recipe.

Since that Christmas, I have made thousands of Oreo Balls. I've made them for New Year's parties, birthday parties, office parties. I've made them for friends, family, colleagues, and students. I've even made them just for the hell of it when I needed a chocolate fix. While my version of Oreo Balls are decorated with drizzles of white chocolate (or brown drizzled on white, depending on how I dipped them), I've even made Oreo Ball Dice for one of Steven's office parties with a Vegas theme, and Oreo Eyeballs for a Halloween party. However you decorate them, they're just a little bit of heaven right here on earth.

Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to the ultimate chocolate fix. And for those of you that don't have it already, here is the recipe.



Oreo Balls


Ingredients:
1 pkg Oreo cookies
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
Almond Bark (or another meltable chocolate)

 
Directions:
1. Grind Oreos on food processor, then mix together with cream cheese.
2. Put the mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours (or overnight), until it stiffens.
3. Roll into small balls and place on waxed paper.
4. Melt chocolate Almond Bark over low heat.
5. Dip Oreo balls into melted chocolate and return to waxed paper to set. If you are feeling creative, melt a small amount of vanilla Almond Bark and drizzle over the top to garnish.
6. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment