Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Project 365 - Day 46 - Headache

Headaches suck.

I can deal with a run-of-the-mill headache pretty well. Usually I don't even need to take anything for them. It's the migraines that ruin my day. They started in high school and still come every so often--some days without warning, and some days building from a relatively minor throbbing to the sharp piercing pain that makes me nauseous and dizzy and unable to do much more than curl up in a ball in a dark room and pray for it to stop.

In college, I visited a few different doctors and neurologists who ran a battery of tests and tried several different prescription medications, but nothing ever worked. The pills either made me sick, sleepy, or slightly loony. So, my only other option was to try and prevent the pain from reaching the ridiculous level and manage it as best I could with over the counter medications. The doctor suggested rotating them to keep my from building up a tolerance.

The migraines don't come nearly as often as they used to, which is good because it's much harder to deal with the pain when there is a busy toddler in the house. Today was a rough one. Luckily, Cadence took a long afternoon nap, so I was able to take a couple Ibuprofen and bury my head beneath the blankets for a bit to take the edge off.

Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to those awful headaches and all the innocent people they afflict. I'll say it again...headaches suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment