Wednesday, February 9, 2011

365 Project - Day 40 - Jimmy John's

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches...where have you been all my life? I'd never heard of a Jimmy John's until Steven and I moved to Lincoln in December. Apparently, they've been around since 1983, but somehow I've missed them. I can't allow myself to start thinking about all the delicious sandwiches I've missed out on these past 27 years, because I start to get a little depressed.

I mean, how many "fast food" joints serve up fresh-baked homemade bread? Or use real turkey and real roast beef, sliced fresh every day? And the bacon? None of that flat, overly crispy imitation bacon hiding beneath any wilted lettuce on these sandwiches. No sir. Jimmy John's does things right.

What impressed Steven the most (besides it being one of the most delicious sandwihes he's ever eaten), was the fact that JJ's uses real Hellman's mayonnaise. It's the only mayonnaise that Steven will eat. Supposedly, one of his relatives perfected the recipe, and then sold it off to Hellman's. If someone ever perfects time travel in my lifetime, I know one guy I'm going to go back and have a nice long chat with.

So far, I've only tried one item on the menu--the #16 Club Lulu--piled high with fresh sliced turkey breast, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. I ask for it on the thick-sliced wheat bread with avocado spread. Mmmm...sheer perfection! With a website that allows you to order online, and a delivery service that will guarantee your order to your doorstep in less than 30 minutes, Jimmy John's just might be my favorite fast food restaurant.

Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to the best damn sandwich I've ever had. Thank you, Jimmy John's, for taking the time to do it right.




No comments:

Post a Comment