Wednesday, February 23, 2011

365 Project - Day 54 - Food Coma

It was quite by accident that I fell into writing restaurant articles and doing food photography. It started with an assignment to write a feature article on a restaurant called Calico Jack's in Glendale, AZ. We needed photos for the article as well, and since I was just starting my photography business, I volunteered my services. Steven, Cadence and I headed to the restaurant one Sunday afternoon. The chef sent half a dozen gorgeous plates filled with scrumptious food to our table, and I spent the better part of an hour snapping photos from every angle I could possibly think of.

When I got home, I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out. Up to that point, I'd spent all my time shooting portraits and landscapes and sporting events. I had no idea how much fun (and how delicious) it could be to do food photography. I submitted my article and photos, and got rave reviews from the magazine. I was assigned another restaurant article for the following issue. Soon after, I was asked if I would be interested in covering the restaurant articles each month and being a photographer for the magazine.

I never even gave it a second thought.

When Steven and I moved to Lincoln in December, I was fortunate enough to be able to keep up with my writing and photography for the magazine. This week, I headed back to Arizona for a working vacation to see my family here, and to visit several West Valley restaurants. These past three days, I have met some incredible people, and have had the opportunity to eat some really incredible food.

I'm saving the formal sneak peek photos for my StoriTyme Photos blog when I get back and get them uploaded from my camera, but I just had to share this one from tonight. It's not the best photo in the world, since I had to snap it with my camera phone in the dimly lit restaurant. I'll be heading back friday for the official photo shoot, and I can't wait.

Today's 365 Project entry is dedicated to the amazing Chef Brian Cooper and staff at Litchfield's Restaurant. If you're ever in the Phoenix area, head over to The Wigwam Resort in Litchfield Park and have dinner at Litchfield's Restaurant. Believe me, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment