Friday, February 18, 2011

365 Project - Day 49 - Invasion of Privacy

When you become a parent, you should count on giving up every last shred of privacy. For us mothers, it begins with the doctor's appointments during pregnancy. Each month the examinations seem to get just a little more invasive. By the time you head to the hospital to deliver, you can kiss whatever modesty you have left goodbye.

From the beginning, the word Steven and I used to best describe our daughter, Cadence was "nosy". Even as a newborn, she was so alert. Those big blue eyes just never seemed to miss anything. These days, as a mobile toddler, her nosiness keeps her moving all day long. As a work at home Mom, I keep her occupied with toys, books, music, and just about anything I can find. Somehow, in the midst of all of it, I try to get as much done as I can. It's not easy though, because Cadence wants to be in the middle of whatever it is that I'm working on.

When I have to take a break and head to the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee or start making lunch, Cadence toddles along behind. She always gets a little irritated when I put the gate up to keep her at a safe distance. Obviously the separation anxiety is starting to kick in again because as soon as there is more than five feet separating her from me, this is the reaction I get:


My favorite though, is when I have to use the bathroom. These days, being able to relieve myself takes an elaborate diversion.

"Ball. Cadence, where's your ball?" I ask.

"Bah, bah, bah," she says, pointing to the ball popper toy she got for her birthday.

"Yeah, ball. Go push it. Push it," I say.

She runs over and pushes the button. Music blares and brightly-colored plastic balls begin popping out and bouncing across the floor. She flashes her open-mouth surprised face for a moment before bursting into excited giggles and chasing after the balls.

As soon as she's occupied, I bolt for the bathroom. She's never more than three steps behind me.

"Mamamama!" she squeals, thinking it's time to play chase.

I'm never able to close the door all the way, because those tiny fingers are always poking through the crack in the door before I get a chance. So, I take my bathroom break, and this is my view:


Today's 365 Project is dedicated to all the parents out there who have learned to pee with an audience. Rest assured, you're not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment